So why’s it such a difficult question to get an answer to, then? Well, the most rudimentary air conditioning room size calculator that you can easily find here and there will give you a rough guide as to the power (in kW) that you need for a particular room size based on length x width.
The basic equation is room size (m2) x 150 watts = the appropriate air conditioner size.
But that equation doesn’t at all factor in some absolutely critical aspects such as:
- Local region/climate
- Ceiling height
- Exposure to sunlight/number of windows
- Roof material (ie. tiles or tin)
- Typical number of people in the room
- Room insulation
- House construction
- Other appliances running in the room
However, correctly sizing an air conditioner for a room then gets even more complicated than that. That’s because the headline power of an air conditioner doesn’t tell you everything about both its performance and its suitability for your particular home or lifestyle. You’ll also need to consider:
- Technology type: Especially as our innovation-dominated century rolls on, there’s a lot to choose from. Split system or ducted? Multi-head split system or portable. Reverse cycle or evaporative? And on and on and on.
- Brands: Similarly, there’s a long list here – and whether you go for Panasonic over Fujitsu, Daikin over LG, or Brand X over Brand Y, the brand you choose doesn’t just differ in reputation and price but:
- Ease of use
- Value for money
- Energy efficiency: Yet another factor influencing the right air conditioner for a particular room size is its overall energy efficiency – because it affects just how much it will affect your hip pocket en route to the desired level of comfort. And the way energy ratings are determined is on a long-term scale of a full decade, emphasising the critical intersection of performance versus financial viability.
- Features: Depending on all the little extras, air conditioner performance can vary quite considerably. For instance, some modern units have built-in dehumidifiers that can make a room feel more comfortable than the headline temperature actually displays. There are also a range of innovative ‘smart’ features that directly affect performance, as well as varying air filter configurations, turbo cooling modes, timers and so on.
Go beyond the air conditioner size chart
Still confused? Don’t let the apparent complexity get you down, because in many cases the rudimentary equation will roughly determine the size of air conditioner for a room. We then recommend choosing something a little more powerful than the result – because too small means an overworked air conditioner and sweating occupants, while too big just means you’re prepared for anything!
If you still need some guidance, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the highly experienced air conditioner specialists and technicians right here at Air Conditioner Repair Service. We’ve worked on every type and brand of air conditioner under the sunny skies of Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay and far beyond, so get in touch with our cheerful team today!